A soothing pregnancy massage, can be just what the doctor ordered during a time when a woman’s body goes through tremendous stresses and strains. As well as the physical pressures, there are also the mental strains that come with bringing a new family member into the world, along with the emotional roller coaster ride associated with hormones that run rampant at this time in a woman’s life.
A remedial pregnancy massage, when properly administered, can give great relief and comfort at all levels, including physical, mental and emotional. However, pregnancy massage is not just any other massage. Both your safety and the safety of your unborn child are of vital importance and require carefully selected massage techniques from trained and experienced pregnancy massage therapists.
At Alternative Body Works, our highly trained and skilled massage therapists not only place paramount importance on the safety of you and your unborn baby, we also tailor a pregnancy massage treatment from our wide range of modalities that best suits your individual needs. That’s because we understand that every woman is different and every stage of pregnancy can raise different needs and require differences in your treatment.
Benefits of ante-natal massage:
- When done effectively, has been proven to reduce stress hormones within a pregnant woman’s body. It also increases the levels of hormones which tend to be low in women who are depressed.
- It leads to a reduction in anxiety and free floating concerns. There is often an improvement in general mood following a massage.
- Pregnant women often find a massage rejuvenates their energy because it gives them an opportunity to rest and completely relax.
- For some pregnant women, massage can relieve nausea and heartburn. In others, it can make these worse though.
- Relieves the everyday discomforts of pregnancy such as an aching neck, sore back, and heaviness in the pelvic bones, leg cramps, swelling of the ankles and feet and oedema (fluid retention).
- Leads to muscle relaxation and relief of joint pain. Pregnancy massage can be particularly helpful for women who experience sciatic nerve pain.
- Builds a feeling a sense of connectedness with another person as well as building a rapport. Many pregnant women experience a change in their intimate relationship with their partner and suffer from being “touch deprived”.
- Pregnancy massage may improve the progression of labour with better health outcomes for both the mother and her baby. More relaxed mothers tend to have a lower risk of interventions during labour and birth.
- Pregnancy massage can provide an opportunity for women to completely stop what they are doing and focus on the pleasure of having someone else do something just for them.
- Improved sleep due to feeling less muscle tension and generally less uncomfortable.
When to avoid having a pregnancy massage:
- If your midwife or doctor have advised you against it.
- If you are within the first 12 weeks of your pregnancy.
- Some massage therapists have a policy of not doing pregnancy massages within the first trimester of a woman’s pregnancy. This is because of the increased risk for miscarriage in the first 12 weeks of gestation.
- If you are in a high risk pregnancy category or have previously had a premature labour.
- If you have Pregnancy Induced Hypertension e.g. high blood pressure.
- If you have pre-eclampsia, or sudden swelling with retention of fluid. If you experience severe headaches.
- If having a pregnancy massage causes you to feel sick, lightheaded, gives you a headache or you don’t enjoy the experience. Don’t feel as if you have to do it just because others feel it’s a good idea. Some women genuinely don’t like being touched and find massages an intrusion of their privacy.
- If you feel the massage therapist is being too vigorous you need to say so. Ask them to be a little gentler and keep the lines of communication open between you both. This is what is termed a therapeutic relationship and it needs to be working for you both in order to gain maximum benefit.
Massage Practice in the clinic
Often side-laying with extra draping, pillow and bolsters to make sure you are completely comfortable at all times. We use coconut oil here at Alternative Body Works as it is the best oil you can have! Please view our website for just 10 great reasons why. It is a wonderful experience for the mother and baby to be relaxed and to feel connected as well as to relieve tension on the body by professional therapists you can trust.
Please call the clinic on 08 8941 0810 if you would like to book an appointment during office hours or book online anytime.