The primary function of the lymph system in our bodies is to distribute, maintain and produce lymphocytes. Lymphocytes play a vital role in the body’s immune system.
Some of the main Benefits of Lymphatic Drainage Massage include:
- Increases in the flow of blood without increasing blood pressure
- Draining of excess fluid
- Increases in the removal of waste which helps to balance your immune system
- Greater Immunological response, improves function for antigens
- Great for your central nervous system, allows parasympathetic nervous system to take over
- It is an analgesic – collateral block to pain
- Increases the blood flow without increasing the blood pressure
- Drainage increase by suction of tissue
So why is it beneficial to have a Lymphatic treatment when detoxing?
The function of the Lymphatic system is the transporting interstitial fluid and the immunological function. Our bodies proteins are absorbed and returned to the bloodstream, it stores and matures cells. Also the lymphatic system filters out toxins and dead cells and maintains the normal blood volume, which is perfect for when your detoxing to speed up the process.
Our lymph vessels pick up and recycle extra tissue fluid and proteins. They are single cell endothelial cell layers, as they get larger the layers increase and pump the lymph into the circulatory system.
How does the fluid move?
This treatment is pure relaxation and hard pressure is not applied. It focuses on the fluid underneath the skin, not your muscles. Our therapists are highly trained and qualified to help assist you in this great treatment. The section between the values is called a lymphangion. During filling up and emptying of the vessel the stretch receptors create a peristaltic movement which is enhanced by outside influences such as massage. Our treatment creates change to tissue pressure, it stimulates the lymphatic system affecting deeper vessels for a quicker response to drainage.
At Alternative Body Works, we will often advise Manual Lymphatic Drainage for people who are suffering from excess swelling and poor circulation. Due to its gentle nature it is suitable for both pregnant women and people recovering from surgery. Did you know also we can incorporate a cellulite reduction treatment with our aromatherapy oils?
Contraindications happen when an increase of lymph flow would be detrimental, please see the list below and make sure you do not have the following before booking an appointment with our highly trained therapists:
- Acute Inflammation
- Malignant Tumours / Diseases
- Major Heart Problems
- Renal Failure
If you have had the following conditions below please advise your therapist as we need a valid reason to continue with treatment:
- Kidney problems – check with the therapist before treating
- Bronchial asthma – this can stimulate the vagus nerve bringing on an attack
- Thyroid problems – no treatment around the throat
- Medications – fear of increasing the dosage by draining the interstitial spaces
- Chemotherapy – fear of increasing the dosage by draining the interstitial spaces
- First three months of Pregnancy – fear of miscarraige
- Removed Spleen – recommend shorter session first treatment
- Menstruation – can increase flow
If Lymphatic Drainage Massage sounds of interest to you, please give us a call today on 08 8941 0810 and request Chantelle or Louise, one of our highly trained Lymphatic Massage Therapists.