You just had a massage and you feel amazing? Here are a few tips on how to make the best of your massage and make the wellness feeling last longer:
- Drink lots of water. The MOST important thing to do after a treatment. After a massage, your body will remove metabolic waste and the tissues will get dehydrated. Drinking plenty of water after a treatment will help with rehydration, flushing of toxins, and building of healthy muscle tissue. And if you’ve got an injury, water will help your tissues recover faster. Did you know for every 24 kilos’ you weigh you need to equal it to drink 1 litre per day?
- Take it easy, avoid stress. It is best to avoid any intense physical or stressful activity in the next 4-8 hours following a massage (ideally for the rest of the day). You have just loosened your muscles, and don’t want to contract again so soon! Also, prolongation of the feeling of relaxation will be beneficial for your whole body, as the absence of stress is well known for better healing, recovering, repairing and retuning to yourself.
- Take a warm bath with Epsom salts or bicarb soda to relax a little longer and increase circulation (or warm shower) if possible (unless you came for an injury or inflammation, you will prefer applying ice). We will give you the correct home care advice.
- Welcome any emotions. Your body stores repressed emotions in different tissues, including the soft tissues that are worked on during a massage. This could unlock some blockages and emotional release could happen. Just let it flow and go with it. Sometimes you can experience releases for the following 3 days, especially in a myofascial treatment as the connective tissue stores the muscle memory, very cool stuff!
- Do your home care stretches and exercises we give you. This can wait for the next day, as your tight muscles have already been worked on. The stretches or exercises that your therapist has given you are for your best interest. They are as important as the massage you just got to insure long term results and improvement as we care about you and your results.
- Avoid alcohol/coffee/soft drinks and choose water to give your tissue the best nutrient in these repairing hours.
- Avoid a heavy meal. Your body is busy with your soft tissue recovery, don’t distracting with digestion too soon. Eat well with healthy foods such as soups, salads, vegetables and proteins.
- Avoid going for intense physical activity. Please keep in mind that your muscles are vulnerable after a deep tissue massage and can tare if you lift heavy objects or exert yourself.
- Avoid too hot bath/showers, as it may create inflammation and dehydration.
Please do not hesitate to give us a call if you have any questions or queries on 08 8941 0810
Thank you for your trust in Alternative Body Works, we are looking forwards to seeing you again soon. Don’t forget you can book your follow up appointment anytime online here or on Mindbody App. Many thanks!